Dr David Hunt of the South
Ribble Museum Leyland
gave a presentation to Brindle Historical Society on 'Death'
David started by showing
us slides of some early settlements and burial chambers on Orkney dating
back to about 3000BC.
Homme de Tollund bog burial
The largest burial
chamber was Maes Howe, a Neolithic chambered cairn and passage grave
situated on Mainland Orkney. It is aligned so that its central chamber
is illuminated on the winter solstice. He showed photos and spoke about
the magnificent large stone-built Neolithic settlement of Skara Brae on
Orkney which dates back to 3100-2500BC and is Europe's most complete
David had also visited
China and told us about the Great Wall and how it is larger than can
ever be imagined. The tomb of Qin Shi Huangdi is near an earthen pyramid
76 meters tall and nearly 350 square meters. The tomb presently remains
unopened but nearby in 1974 a local farmers was drilling a water well
and found the first part of the Terracotta Army. The Terracotta Warriors
and Horses is a collection of 8,099 larger than life Chinese terra cotta
figures. Sadly, most of the figures had been smashed before their
discovery but most have now been restored. David then moved on the Egypt
where different forms of burials had been used. These generally involved
preserving of mummifying the body. A very interesting piece of
information he told us was that in our own UK Bronze Age there are many
cases of burials being found but little evidence of the buildings they
lived in. Or, few lived in the Bronze Age but lots of people died in it!
Some of the Terracotta Warriors
Dot Bruns gives a presentation
on the 'Portable Antiquities Scheme'
Dot Bruns, of the
Portable Antiquities Scheme, came along to give a presentation on the
working of the scheme and some of the artefacts she had been involved
with during previous years.
The Portable Antiquities Scheme is a programme to record the increasing
numbers of small finds of archaeological interest found by members of
Advice being given on a mini-dig at
Some of the John Winstanley flints
The scheme was begun in
1997 and now covers most of England and Wales.
She described in detail the work they were doing on the cataloguing of
the John Winstanley collection of flints. A lot of the work relies in a
small dedicated team of volunteer workers and Julie Stewart of this
Society was doing a huge amount of work by sorting, measuring, weighing
and photographing the flints ready for adding to the national database.
As well as coordinating and recording finds Dot visits schools and other
organisations to describe the work of the scheme and in some cases
allows children to handle some of the less important artefacts.
A small sample of some of the artefacts
that have been catalogued.
A Unique Gold Posy Ring from Lancashire.
Many thanks to Dot for
providing me with the above images from her presentation.
Chorley Film Society and the
North West Film Archive
Chorley Film Society and
the North West Film Archive teamed up to present a wonderful evening of
old films relevant to the Chorley area. Geoff Senior of the North West
Film Archive based in Manchester introduced various films ranging from
the Lancashire Junior Cup Tie Final between New Brighton and Chorley
played at Bolton football ground on 11th March 1922. George V and Queen
Mary were seen during their visit to Chorley in 1913 and of course the
opening of Astley Park and the War memorial on 31st May 1924.
Other films shown were an official record of the opening of the M6
Motorway in 1958. We Joined the village of Blackrod and scenes around
the village in the early 1950s and we saw rolls of paper come off the
mill at Withnell Fold in 1963. The mill closed in 1967.
Geoff Senior of the North West Film
introduces the films
A full house at the Little Theatre
The opening of Astley Park 31st May 1924
Children at the opening of Astley Park,
Dot Waring at Wigan
At Wigan Archaeological
Society our own Dot Waring was the speaker. She gave an illustrated talk
about some of her work on the excavations at Dilston Castle in
Northumberland. Her interest began many years ago when she was asked to
look after some 17th century papers. These referred to the castle and
the Radcliffe family, who had strong ties with Lancashire. Today,
Dilston Castle, a picturesque ruin, is all that remains of the grand
family seat of the Radcliffes, Earls of Derwentwater. This ruined,
early-fifteenth--century tower house was once incorporated in the
western wing of Dilston Hall. Dilston Chapel, which stands nearby, was
built c.1616 and is a rare example of a post-Reformation recusant
Dot describes the excavations
James Radclyffe 3rd Earl of Derwentwater
Born: 28 June 1689 Died: 24 Feb. 1716 with Anna Maria (Webb) Radclyffe
and child. Painted a year or so before his execution.
At the foot of a wooded
escarpment beyond the Castle, the Devil's Water, a lively tributary of
the River Tyne, flows beneath an elegant, single-span bridge, built at
the same time as the chapel. James Radclyffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater
was involved in the failed Jacobite rising at the Battle of Preston in
1715. He was one of the 1,468 Jacobites taken prisoner. He was executed
for his actions. Dot and husband John were volunteer excavators and
while Dot surveyed and drew details of a cobbled forecourt John was busy
investigating some underground tunnels which had been found.